We are so excited to announce that we’ve added a potent 13th ingredient to our Immunity Potion formulation, and it is none other than the powerful flaxseed.
Adding this superfood has been in the works for a long time, and we are thrilled to add it to our lineup of adaptogenic, powerful ingredients as a perfect boost to your health and immunity.
Flaxseed in Ayurveda and Throughout History
Maybe you’ve heard of it before, but what exactly is flaxseed?
Flaxseed is a tiny but mighty seed that has been cherished for its healing properties across cultures and millennia. The history of flaxseed dates back to ancient civilizations. Archaeological findings suggest that flax cultivation began around 30,000 years ago in what is now modern-day Syria. Egyptian pharaohs treasured flaxseed, often using it as a symbol of purity and a source of nourishment. Hippocrates, the father of Western medicine, recognized the therapeutic potential of flaxseed and prescribed it to patients for various ailments.
In Ayurveda, flaxseed is known as "Atasi" or "Tishi." It is considered to have a cooling energy (Virya) and a sweet taste (Rasa), making it suitable for balancing Pitta dosha, one of the three fundamental energies in Ayurveda. Pitta is associated with fire, and flaxseed's cooling nature can help soothe Pitta imbalances in the body.
Flaxseed’s Essential Nutrients for Boosted Health
Flaxseed, scientifically known as Linum usitatissimum, is a true nutritional powerhouse that has earned its place among superfoods, with its crown jewel being its impressive omega-3 fatty acid content. These essential fatty acids, specifically alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), found abundantly in flaxseed, play a pivotal role in promoting health. Omega-3s are renowned for their anti-inflammatory properties, aiding in the reduction of chronic inflammation, a key factor in many diseases. Additionally, they are integral to cardiovascular health, contributing to lower blood pressure and reduced risk of heart disease.
Adding flaxseed to your diet also provides your body with a rich source of dietary fiber, protein, antioxidants, and lignans, which help balance hormones.
- Fiber-Rich for Gut Health: Flaxseed is high in dietary fiber, which aids in maintaining a healthy gut . Ayurveda places great emphasis on good digestion as a cornerstone of health. A healthy gut is closely linked to a robust immune system.
- Cancer Fighting Properties: Although there have been few clinical trials involving flaxseed for fighting cancer, many studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids are related to reducing risk of cancer. Some animal studies have demonstrated flaxseed’s ability to suppress growth of cancer cells and in some cases, even promote cancer cell death 
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Inflammation plays a key in many chronic diseases. Flaxseed's anti-inflammatory properties, coupled with its rich omega-3 content, can help regulate the body's inflammatory response .
- Balancing Hormones and Menstrual Cycle: Omega-3s can help balance hormones and reduce inflammation, thus alleviating many menstrual and menopausal symptoms. Not to mention, they’re essential during pregnancy! Flaxseed is a hero in helping regulate ovulation, impact estrogen metabolism, and alleviate menopause symptoms .
- Reduces Risk of Heart Disease & Type 2 Diabetes: A study demonstrated that flaxseed could reduce blood pressure and heart disease risk in older adults  Its omega-3 content and antioxidants may help with lowering the risk of heart disease and type-2 diabetes.
- Fights Depression: Studies have demonstrated a link between omega-3 fatty acids in the diet and depression. In fact, an insufficient intake of omega-3 has been shown to be a risk factor in depression symptoms .